This qualification is designed to increase learners’ awareness and understanding of behaviour that challenges and its effects. By completing the qualification, learners will develop in-depth knowledge of behaviour that challenges which could support progression onto other appropriate qualifications and into relevant employment in education settings, or the social care sector.
This qualification will:
• focus on the study of mental health and mental well-being to support different occupational areas
• offer breadth and depth of study, incorporating a key core of knowledge and understanding.
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners to understand:
• mental health legislation, services and public attitudes and how these have evolved
• how to support mental well-being through various stages of life
• mental ill health, treatment options available and the potential consequences of mental ill health
• the skills required to work in a mental health service.
To be awarded the Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health, learners are required to successfully complete 5 mandatory units:
• Unit 01 Understanding the context of mental health and wellbeing
• Unit 02 Promotion of mental health and wellbeing
• Unit 03 Mental health problems: associated issues and consequences
• Unit 04 Understanding mental ill health
• Unit 05 Working in mental health.
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 2 mental health qualification, or qualifications in healthcare or social care contexts.
For home study a computer and broadband connection
To be awarded the Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health, learners are required to successfully complete 5 mandatory units: The progress will be checked each week by the tutor. The written work for each unit will be submitted for marking at regular intervals
The earners' portfolio of work must successfully demonstrate their achievement of all learning outcomes of the units as detailed in the qualification specification.
The Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health is internally assessed.
3 -5 hours per week additional study
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
• Level 3 Award in Awareness of the Mental Capacity Act 2005
• Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
• Level 3 Certificate in Working in the Health Sector.